About Me

My photo
Black Girl singing the songs that have been buried in her heart all her life. Come share with me all the ups and downs that we all go through. White, Latino Asian, let's all sing the Black Girl Song. This is basically the story of survival of the phoenix rising from the ashes again and again...and again.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Grandmother's Love

Dedicated to Lily Carter-Peterson, Angie Tondu Solomon's mother, Lula Mae Sharpley, and Anais' Grandmother.

Today I salute one of my best most wonderful women in my life, My Grandmother, Lillie Adelaide Allman Owusu. I praise God that he has given me another year to celebrate with my Grandmother. She turns 85 today. Although at times I get a little overwhelmed with my responsibilities, I know that she is in the right place when she is with me. We fit together like two peas in a pod. I praise God for keeping her in good health-she's not on any medications, and she can use the bathroom and wash-up on her own without assistance. She helps with the kids, cooking and we have great conversations. I don't take her presence in my life for granted. I just ask God to help me keep the perspective that I am blessed to have her in my life. I know that many of my closest friends have lost Grandmothers. I am thinking of you and loving Grandma, holding onto Grandma, cherishing Grandma for all of us.

Anais, although you won't have this earthly relationship with your Grandma, know that she is covering you and interceding for you and being the best Angel Grandma she can be. When you are in a tough situation, and suddenly you feel calm and know exactly what to do, you are experiencing your Grandmother's love. And Shawn, I know your Lily left too soon. Remember, "There's a Lily, in the Valley, Bright as a Morning Star." But I know she is so proud of how you have stood on your own and paved your own way. You became your own man, and she knew that you couldn't do that if you were worried about her welfare. She is strengthening you and urging you on toward the best that life has to offer, no fear. To Angie Tondu, who had such a strong Mother. She was taken from her precious Grandchildren too soon. And didn't get to hold Maddie. But she holds her when she visits her in dreams, and she knows how much you hurt Angie. But she wants you to live and love and enjoy all the things that she didn't get to enjoy; and hold Louis for dear life. Don't be so concerned with the loss that you don't treasure what remains. She is smiling through you, being strong through you, going on through you. Her life was not in vain and she lives through your laugh, your touch, your mothering. Her memory is honored through the vigor with which you live. Stand in the gap and be all that you can be for your Mother. She is gone too soon, but gone and never forgotten. And finally, the Sharpley family, you lost your Matriarch, the Woman that taught us that Jesus Christ is the most important thing. I love Grandma Lula and miss her dearly. I love that she died just like she lived, on her own terms. She didn't die sick, in the hospital, of those terrible seizures, she died when she knew things were right and she could go softly into that goodnight. She was fearless and went into the arms of Jesus. I cried so hard when I found out her arms were outstretched. Her faith in the Lord was not in vain.

For those that we loved and lost, I salute you all. I will cherish everyday with my Grandma like it could be the last. And when she has gone the last mile of the way, I will need your prayers and strength to let her go and to honor her with what's left of my life. Thank you Lord for our time with our Grandmas.

No comments: